Data Protection Policy
Wine Educator is required to comply with privacy and data protection laws. This policy sets out principles we will apply when handling individuals’ personal information. By submitting data to WE, individuals authorise WE to process data in accordance with this policy.
Definition of Data
Data refers to information held about an individual that may be processed by WE in order for it to carry out its function as an APP for WSET. This includes data relating to a living individual who can be identified from that data (or from that data and other information in the possession of WE). It may also include certain categories of sensitive personal data, e.g. information about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin or their physical or mental health or condition which we may be required by the Regulator to collect in connection with the delivery of Wine Educator.
Processing Candidate Data
WE has a legitimate interest in collecting and processing personal data including a candidate’s name(s), date of birth, gender and email address for the purposes of examining and awarding WSET qualifications and collecting feedback from candidates. In some cases, additional information (which may include sensitive personal data relating to health) will be collected to support requests for reasonable adjustments and special consideration. Such personal data will be supplemented by the results of examinations and assessments undertaken by the candidate.
A candidate’s personal data will only be collected from Wine Educator in the context of examination registrations and/or certification claims. It will not be used by WSET Awards other than for the administration of the examinations process, conducting assessments and certifying results. Personal data within candidate’s work will be collected and processed by WSET Awards for the purposes of marking and issuing examination results and providing candidates with post-results services. In order to achieve this, some personal information may be transferred to third parties such as examiners outside of the European Economic Area.
Data protection arrangements
WE has the following procedures in place to safeguard data collected by it as an APP of WSET program:
– All WE staff, students and educators have access to this policy;
– WE are required to inform students of how their data will be processed for the purposes of registration and certification of a WSET qualification;
– Forms which require the collection of personal or sensitive personal data include a data protection statement informing individuals about how their data will be processed;
– Data collected by WE is not used for marketing purposes or shared with third parties;
– No personal data is disclosed to anyone outside of WE and WSET without the prior written consent of the individual;
– Access to personal information on the WE database is restricted to authorised users;
– All records are kept accurate and up-to-date as far as practicable; WE relies on individuals to communicate any changes
– Where WE Awards sends email correspondence to multiple recipients, recipients will be blind-copied.
– The WE undertakes to follow the law regulations of data protection for each country where WE conduct its activities.
Data security arrangements
WE Awards has appropriate measures in place to ensure the data held on our systems is secure. In the event of an unauthorised use of data or data loss, the individuals concerned will be notified and a recovery plan implemented. This will include a risk assessment and review of operating procedures.
This policy is available to candidates upon request. For further information, including data subject access requests, please contact the Examination Officer
Wine Educator Manager